Baking Soda is widely used for making cakes, pastries and the like. It is composed of sodium and bicarbonate ions that appear as a fine powder. It is a leavening agent that is basically an alkaline compound that produces carbon dioxide when mixed with acid.
But did you know that aside from those known uses, baking soda is used in a ‘hundred’ ways?
Here are some of them:
- Deodorant: Baking soda has anti-odor properties. Just mix about 1/8 teaspoon of it to a little amount of water. Do not dissolve it completely. With just the right texture, you can apply it to your underarms as a deodorant. It will make your underarms whiter, too!
- Relief from insect bite: Mixed with water, a right amount of baking soda can relieve pain and swell from insect bites. Apply the mixture to the affected area and let it stay for 10-15 minutes.
- Stops Heartburn: Unable to run at the nearest drugstore for your heartburn? Let baking soda do the task. Just mix 1 teaspoon of it to a glass of water (8 ounces) then drink it. Baking soda will help you neutralize acid level in your stomach.
- Exfoliant: Use baking soda as an exfoliant. Mix equal part of water and baking soda. Rub it into your skin to naturally remove dirt and dry skin.
- Scalp Cleanser: Mixed with water, baking soda can clean your scalp. This will prevent dandruff. It will also help your hair grow stronger and healthier.
- Lightens Stretchmark: With its exfoliating properties, it can lighten stretch marks. Just mix it with the right amount of water and rub it on your skin. Let it stay for a few minutes before rinsing it off.
- Soothes Dry Skin: Mixed with water, baking soda softens dry skin. Rub it on your heels, knees, and elbows.
- Removes Stain: Doing the laundry with stains? Baking soda helps! Mix 4 tablespoons of baking soda to the ¼ cup of water until it turns like paste. Apply it to the cloth with stains. Wash as usual.
- Removes Odor: Put baking soda on a container and let it sit inside the refrigerator. It will absorb the “stinky” smell of the fish and meat inside.
- Jewelry Cleaner: Made as a paste, apply it on your jewelry on a piece of cloth. Rub it until dirt has been removed.
- Soothes swelling: Baking soda paste relives pain from swelling. Apply it to the affected area and let it stay for 15 minutes.
- Soothes a sunburn: This Summer, made as a paste, baking soda can relieve pain and swell from sunburn. It soothes redness, too.
- Meat tenderizer: Wants to make your meat tender and easy to cook? Just soak them in a baking soda solution before cooking. You can also use this on beans and peas.
- Whitens teeth: Used as a toothpaste, it helps whitens teeth. Mix few spoonfuls of baking soda with lemon juice.
- Freshens breath: Dissolved in water, use it as a mouthwash. It will prevent bacteria build-up which causes bad breath and cavities.