An OFW is reported dead after taking her life in Hong Kong. Due to poverty, many Filipinos decided to venture into working abroad to find a greener pasture for their families. While their family is enjoying a comfortable life, they are working so hard, night and day, just to support them. Little did they know, they have to endure sleepless nights, being homesick, and if they are unlucky, the maltreatment of their employers.

According to the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA), the number of Overseas Filipino Workers who work abroad from April to September 2018 was estimated at 2.3 million. 96.2 percent of this number have an existing work contract while the remaining 3.8% percent works without a contract.

One OFW recently reported demised after hanging herself in Tai Kok Tsui last Saturday. The 37-year-old domestic helper was discovered hanging inside her room in the flat of her employer at 11 Hoi Fai Road on November 2. Police Public Relations Branch spokesman said: The worker was Filipino. Her name was Elen. Elen’s employer called the police at around 10:35 a.m.

The emergency team arrived at the flat along with the worker to the Kwong Wah Hospital in Yau Ma Tei. She found the domestic worker had hanged herself with a towel inside her room, the spokesman said. They took her down but she was already unconscious when she was taken to the hospital. She died there at 11:10 a.m.the spokesman added. The cause of her demise is still to be determined because there’s no note found at the scene.

The police were treating the case as a pagkamatay on the initial investigation. If you know an OFW who needs help, don’t hesitate to call the Philippine Consulate General at 9155-4023, the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) at 5529-1880, or the POLO-Overseas Workers Welfare Administration at 6345-9324.

YOUR COMMENTS

We encourage all readers to share their views on our articles and blog posts. We are committed to maintaining a lively but civil forum for discussion, so we ask you to avoid personal attacks, and please keep your comments relevant and respectful.